Western Nassau Heritage Preservation Committee
Are you interested in the future of Western Nassau?
If so, please join the discussion and engage in the planning process!
The Nassau County Planning and Zoning Board (PZB) has formed a subcommittee, the Western Nassau Heritage Preservation Committee (WNHPC). Five PZB members serve on the WNHPC, and held their first meeting on March 6, 2018. The committee is charged with discussing the future of Western Nassau, and to work with the Planning and Economic Opportunity Department to determine how they can best assist in planning efforts.
Community outreach and engagement are the priorities of the committee. On March 26, 2019, after a year of community feedback to understand the wishes of the community, the WNHPC adopted the following mission statement:
The Western Nassau Heritage Preservation Committee exists because there is a genuine desire on the part of our citizenry to ensure what our name implies--Preservation! We enjoy a rich heritage in Western Nassau County. Through purposeful community engagement, we are driven to gain perspective and insight for inevitable growth. The underlying impetus of our goal is to maintain a high quality of life, preserve rural character, and ensure fiscally sustainable and appropriately controlled development.
On October 1, 2019, after a year and a half of community outreach and engagement, the draft Vision Book was presented to the Planning & Zoning Board. The VISION BOOK was approved by the WNHPC during the October 22nd regular WNHP meeting.
Upcoming Meetings of the WNHPC
Regular meetings of the WNHPC are held the fourth Tuesday of every month at 6pm at the Callahan County Building located at 45401 Mickler St.
- October 22, 2019
- November 12, 2019*
- December 10, 2019*
*Meetings were rescheduled due to Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
- July 23, 2019
- Review the Goals and Objectives for Western Nassau planning that were adopted by the Committee during this meeting. These goals and objectives were based on community feedback and input shared with the Committee and PEO Department over the last year.
- June 25, 2019
- May 28, 2019
- March 26, 2019
- November 27, 2018
- September 25, 2018
- July 24, 2018
- June 26, 2018
- May 1, 2018
- March 6, 2018
- Read about development trends facing Nassau County.
- Review the Urban Land Institute's Technical Assistance Panel's work on Western Nassau.
- Learn from other community planning efforts.
- Watch Ed McMahon of the Urban Land Institute talk about the Power of Uniqueness at Tedx Jacksonville.
Join the Discussion
The WNHPC 2019 timeline is below. Activities are tentative and subject to change.