The City of Fernandina Beach Fire Department employs approximately 40 season Ocean Rescue Lifeguards each year. Beaches are staffed with lifeguards on weekends beginning the first weekend in May. After Memorial Day, beaches are protected 7 days a week until the Labor Day holiday in September.
Hours lifeguards are on duty is from 11:00 am - 5:00 pm on weekdays and 10:00 am-5:00 pm on weekends and holidays.
Safety Tips & Rip Currents
- Ocean Rescue stands are located at:
- North End Park (North Fletcher) - one stand
- Main Beach - four stands
- Seaside Park (South Fletcher & Sadler Rd.) - two stands
- Peter's Point - four stands
- Scott Rd. - one stand
- Burney Park - one stand
- Lifeguards will respond to the 12 miles of beach from Fort Clinch State Park to the southern most point of Amelia Island, however you are urged to swim near a lifeguard stand.